Oral arguments in the CityNorth subsidy case, Turken v. Gordon, will he held in the Arizona Supreme Court next Wednesday, September 30th at 9:30 a.m. We hope you will attend.
WHO: The Goldwater Institute’s Litigation Director
WHAT: CityNorth subsidy case, Turken v. Gordon, oral arguments before the Arizona Supreme Court
WHEN: Wednesday, September 30 at 9:30 a.m.
In July 2007 the City of
The Goldwater Institute's
The Goldwater Institute represents six small business owners in Phoenix; Meyer Turken, owner of Turken Industrial Properties, a small real estate development and management company; Kenneth D. Cheuvront, owner of Cheuvront Wine and Cheese Cafe and Cheuvront Construction; Zul Gilliani, who owns an ice cream shop at Paradise Valley Mall; James Iannuzo, who owns Sign-a-Rama; Kathy Rowe who owns Music Together; and Justin Shafer, owner of Hava Java.
· August 8, 2007, case filed with Maricopa Superior County Court
· February 11, 2008, oral arguments on motions for summary judgment in the Turken v. Gordon subsidies case before the Honorable Judge Robert E. Miles
· April 2, 2008, Judge Robert E. Miles rules that $97.4 million sales tax deal with CityNorth creates a public good and does not violate the constitution as a corporate subsidy
· April 4, 2008, Goldwater Institute appeals court ruling
· June 9, 2008, Judge Robert E. Miles heard oral arguments on attorney's fees
· November 25, 2008, Court of Appeals heard oral argument on appeal
· December 23, 2008, Court of Appeals rules the deal with CityNorth does, in fact, violate the gift clause· September 30, 2009, Hearing in the